Whether you use it for school, everyday activities, hiking or camping trips, a quality backpack can make your life easier. Especially when traveling to rainy places like Klaipeda, Lithuania or Iceland. Sure, when you think about it, it is just a bag with some belts that goes on your back and gives you more freedom. But buying a low-quality item will cost you more in the long run – it will wear out in no time, having you replace it every few months.
The good news is you do not have to spend a fortune to take advantage of quality. Instead, you need to assess your necessities and determine what you need from a backpack, then opt for a top-rated item with a good reputation. The waterproof feature is slowly becoming a standard – after all, you do not have to be camping in the woods to opt for waterproof lining, as rain can kick in anytime. But then, what are the most important factors when buying a backpack? How about the best waterproof backpack out there?
Factors To Consider When Buying A Waterproof Backpack
Apart from the actual design and style, there are more aspects to look at when shopping.
The size is often overlooked and considered to be less important than the actual style. While the style does make the difference too, the size is critical. If you need your backpack for everyday wear, think about all the things that you might need during a day.
When it comes to hiking and camping, you have more sizes. If you go out for a day, you do not need more than 40L. If you plan to go out for the whole weekend, you might need up to 65L in size. If you are a proper explorer who spends days in nature, you might need up to 95L.
The fit of a backpack is irrelevant if you only wear for half an hour a day – 15 minutes to work and 15 minutes to go back home. But if you hike, camp or wear the backpack as a daily accessory, the fit can make all the difference in the world.
Ideally, you should measure your torso. Backpacks designed with camping or hiking purposes may have the same volume, but they have different sizes (especially the length). Your torso size should be similar to the length of the backpack. Measure it from the base of the neck to the waist.
If you want a backpack for women, you should know that women’s backpacks come with narrower straps, as well as extra support around the hip.
Frames are important for longer hikes, while day backpacks do not require this kind of extra support. You can opt for internal or external frames. Internal frames fit backpacks better, but they also keep the size compact. They work well in narrow spaces. You can move around with more freedom – nothing in your way.
On the other hand, external frames provide some extra stability. They allow some ventilation too. Given their lack of adjustability, they make good choices in open areas and camping trips.
As a general rule of thumb, the more straps you have, the better the fit will be. All backpacks come with shoulder straps. They should be completely padded – if not, at least makes sure the padding starts one or two inches from the top of your shoulders.
If you opt for a heavy camping unit, you will need more than just two straps. Compression straps prevent flopping over when the backpack is not entirely filled. Sternum straps are just as handy if you carry a heavy load and go out for more than just a day. The same rule applies to waist straps, which distribute the weight throughout the entire surface of your back.
Other factors to consider when hunting the best waterproof backpack include:
- Fabric and zipper quality
Now that you know what to look for in a backpack, what are the best selling items out there?
Top 5 Waterproof Backpacks
BackSåk Waterproof Backpacks
- Rugged All-Weather Protection: BackSak is made from heavy duty 500-denier...
- Comfort & Convenience: Sternum clip & padded back support help relieve...
- 2 Easy Ways To Close: Simply fold the roll-down the top at least 3 times,...
- Zippered, Protective Pockets: Spacious interior pocket keeps electronics &...
Designed to resist any kind of weather and available in more colors, BackSåk’s waterproof backpack is made from 500 denier PVC. It also comes with welded seams. It is watertight and features a top to cover the entire surface. It keeps your stuff dry no matter what.
The backpack comes in two sizes – 25L and 35L. It is excellent for daily trips, as well as weekend hiking trips. It features a padded back for support, as well as a sternum clip, cushioned straps and D rings on the sides.
The rolling top can be folded and used as a handle. You can also rely on the side clips and compress everything. Whether or not you use the top, the backpack is waterproof. Pockets are spacious and zippered.
- More sizes and styles
- Protective pockets and zippers
- Lots of adjustment
- Durable materials
- No laptop sleeve
IDRYBAG Waterproof Dry Bag Sack
- 500D Waterproof Material: Idrybag 30L dry bag backpack is constructed from...
- How to Use: Align the straps on the top of the waterproof dry backpack...
- Humanized Design: Our functional waterproof bag backpack comes in a choice...
- Outer Pocket & Inner Pocket: Idrybag waterproof dry bag backpack comes with...
With a total capacity of 30L and four colors, this might be the top waterproof backpack for hiking. It has a 500D scratch resistant material that prevents the water from going in and lasts for ages. The top can be easily made waterproof by rolling it properly.
The backpack comes with a few extras for safety and convenience. You have a reflective trim to be visible after sunset, as well as a unique ergonomic construction to relieve some of the pressure off your back. Straps are padded and adjustable.
Pockets are basic, but you have the main requirements. There is an easily accessible pocket on the backpack to keep your knife of flashlight, as well as a small dry bag on the inside for your valuables.
- Scratch and weather resistant materials
- Just the right pockets
- Ergonomic design
- Suitable for more occasions
- Making the top waterproof can be tricky until you get used to it
WolfWarriorX Military Tactical Assault Backpack
- 【Large Capacity Tactical Backpack and Multi Compartments Military...
- 【Disperse the Pressure, More comfortable, Perfect Hiking Backpack】The...
- 【Multipurpose and Casual Laptop Backpack for Men Women Students】 This...
- 【Expandable Backpack Water Resistant】This backpack cab be expanded by...
Designed as a backpack for men, this unit is actually unisex and comes in 15 different styles. It measures 14.5x21x8 inches, but it can be easily expanded. For instance, the general capacity of 39L can go up to 64L.
You have four loading compartments, a mesh pocket and lots of room and separate pockets. Apart from the classic shoulder belts, you also have a chest belt to reduce some of the pressure. The buckles on sides ensure a tight and secure fit.
The backpack can be used for a series of occasions. It can also take a laptop. It has heavy and oversized zippers, as well as a solid 600D polyester design. While rated to be waterproof, you should not leave it in heavy rain for long periods of time.
- Lots of compartments
- Plenty of expansion
- No back pressure
- Comfortable to wear
- Feels too large for shorter people
Charmore Women Backpack
- Durable-made by tear, water-proof, anti-abrasion nylon which provides...
- DIMENSIONS: Medium: 12.99"L x 5.90"W x 13.38"H, Weight: 1.3 pounds. Large:...
- [PRACTICAL STRUCTURE]: 1 main zipper compartment with 1 interior zipper...
- CLOSURE: Back Zipper Closure, effective anti-theft design, it is Rainproof,...
Charmore’s item could be a great waterproof travel backpack for women, whether you go on a short camping trip or you go to school. It has a feminine look and it can match a sporty style, as well as a more elegant outfit. It can be used as a purse too.
The backpack is made of durable nylon – waterproof and abrasion resistant. It measures 12.99×5.9×13.28 inches, but you can also buy it in a larger size. Both sizes are similar in weigh – 1.3 and 1.4 pounds. The strap is adjustable – single or double shoulder wear.
It features a main compartment and seven pockets for all kinds of small items. The back zipper closure is rainproof, but it also ensures a high anti-theft protection.
- Can be used as a purse, single or double shoulder
- Plenty of designs
- Sporty, casual and elegant style
- Lots of compartments
- Some small pockets may spill inside when the bag slouches over
ALEENUN Waterproof Dry Floating Sack
- ✔Keep Dry Under Any Condition - The waterproof dry bag is carefully...
- ✔Humanized Design, Reflective For Night Safety - The dry backpack comes...
- ✔Protect Your Beloved Phone On The Water Sports - Every floating sack...
- ✔Adventure Must-Have, Enjoy Yourself - The dry bag can float on the water...
ALEENUN’s waterproof backpack is ideal if you love adventure. The unit is waterproof and made with watertight seams. It is lightweight and comes in three different sizes – 10L, 20L and 30L. It can be carried on your back, in hand or over the shoulder.
The backpack comes with both internal and outer pockets. Despite being waterproof, it still has an IPX8 certified waterproof case for your phone – up to 6.2 inches in size. You have dual windows to use it without taking it out.
The dry bag will float on water – ideal for extreme hiking adventures. When it comes to storage, it can be folded.
- Excellent to protect your belongings
- Easy storage and transportation
- Can be carried in a few different ways
- Extra protection for your valuables
- Size might be bigger than expected
In the end, it is up to you to identify the right waterproof backpack for traveling, hiking, everyday uses or other adventures. Keep in mind that the best waterproof backpack is a concept that may not really exist, as what works for some people will not necessarily work for you too.
These five items are among the leading products in this field. However, just like for everything else in life, you will have to take your personal needs into consideration before making a final decision. Our recommendation is to also check our water shoes reviews and travel umbrella reviews to be even more protected!