Last Updated on
Regardless of your travel destination, you will invariably be exposed to various weather conditions during your trip. That is why packing an umbrella is never a bad idea, especially in rainy destinations, for example, Klaipeda or Belgrade. This article will outline the features and characteristics of this essential travel item and will help you identify the best travel umbrella on the market.
What to look for in a travel umbrella
Travel umbrella needs to satisfy two essential criteria: A compact design that allows it to be carried with ease, and a well-made canopy that provides protection from weather elements. Some other important features to consider include a convenient mechanism that allows you to easily open and close the umbrella and a comfortable handle with excellent grip. Here’s a look at some of the main characteristics of travel umbrellas
A compact design allows you to store the umbrella in your bag or luggage without taking up a lot of space. This is a valuable convenience during travel.
The quality of the handle is extremely important when it comes to comfort. It is advisable to opt for an umbrella that is equipped with a handle that offers a good grip. This includes handles made from leather, pleather, rubberized plastic, as well as handles that are designed to fit the contours of your wrist.
This function allows you to open and close the umbrella with a press of a button. This is practical when you’re surprised by rain or when you’re trying to quickly close the umbrella indoors.
The quality of the canopy
A canopy that can handle extreme weather condition should be equipped with a minimum of 9 high-quality ribs. The shaft needs to be sturdy enough to provide ample support for the canopy. Steel and fiberglass are ideal materials for these parts.
Top 5 Travel umbrella reviews
Repel Windproof Travel Umbrella with Teflon Coating
- AUTOMATIC, COMPACT, AND LIGHTWEIGHT - Auto open/close function allows for...
- WIND-DEFYING, DOUBLE VENTED, 9-RIB CANOPY - Most small or mini umbrellas...
- TEFLON COATING FOR SUPERIOR REPELLENCY - Put the technology of Teflon to...
- QUALITY WORKMANSHIP - Designed with a three-fold chrome plated black metal...
This is one of the best compact travel umbrellas on the market today. It boasts an auto open/close function that makes one hand use very easy and convenient. More importantly, it is equipped with 9 fortified ribs that give it the ability to handle extreme weather conditions ranging from heavy rain to strong wind. This is substantially more than the 6 ribs that you will find in the vast majority of travel umbrellas.
The Repel’s impressive water-repellency is without a doubt one of its strongest qualities. Thanks to the Teflon coating that covers the umbrella’s canopy, you are afforded complete protection from weather elements.
- Very compact and lightweight
- The Teflon coating provides great water repellency
- The overall quality of the workmanship is excellent
- Comes with 9 fortified ribs
- Pulling the umbrella to the base can be challenging
- The handle is relatively small
Rain-Mate Compact Travel Umbrella
- WINDPROOF DESIGN - 9 reinforced fiberglass ribs with sturdy all metal frame...
- FAIL-SAFE FLIP TECHNOLOGY - Our virtually indestructible weatherproof...
- LIFETIME REPLACEMENT GUARANTEE - If anything happens to your brella, we...
- PERFECT TRAVEL SIZE – A 3 fold telescopic shaft is collapsible to a small...
This umbrella from Rain-mate is equipped with 9 reinforced fiberglass ribs and features a sturdy frame that is made from high-quality metal. Its durable construction coupled with its compact design makes it ideal for the harsh conditions of the outdoors. The main component behind this umbrella’s remarkable durability and its ability to handle rough weather is Rain-Mate’s fail-safe flip technology. This feature prepares the canopy for the most extreme of weather conditions by inverting it without bending or damaging the fiberglass ribs.
The Rain-mate compact travel umbrella combines two critical elements that are essential for any practical travel umbrella; a highly collapsible shaft and a large canopy. The shaft collapses to a small size that allows you to store the umbrella in your backpack or purse and the canopy is wide enough to provide cover for two people.
- The size of the canopy
- One-touch open and close
- The reinforced fibers glass ribs are very sturdy
- Waterproof and wind resistant
- The design is top-heavy
- The rivets are prone to rust
Tiagogear Windproof Travel Umbrella
- SUPER FAST AUTO OPEN AND CLOSE: Super easy and convenient one-handed...
- ALWAYS BE READY WHEN IT RAINS - Compact & lightweight black travel umbrella...
- STORMPROOF ULTRA DURABLE DESIGN - Windproof umbrella. High quality design...
- HIGH QUALITY CANOPY CONSTRUCTION - Waterproof & quick dry technology keeps...
This is one of the most affordable options in this guide. It offers great value for the price and boasts most of the basic features that can be found in more expensive umbrellas. It weighs less than a pound which allows it to be kept in a small purse and comes with the auto open and close feature the enables you to open the umbrella with a push of a button.
Unlike most options in its price range, the Tiagogear is equipped with a set of 9 ribs that are sturdy enough to handle strong wind and heavy downpour. Furthermore, the strong construction of the canopy and its cutting-edge quick-dry technology guarantees comprehensive protection against various weather elements.
- The affordable price
- The sturdy construction of the canopy
- Flexible and durable design
- Convenient auto open/close feature
- Locking the umbrella requires some effort
- The frame rusts fairly quickly
Bodyguard Travel Umbrella
- 〖SUPERIOR WINDPROOF 10 RIBS DESIGN〗 - Most folding umbrella are...
- 〖TEFLON WATERPROOF MATERIAL PROTECTION〗 - This windproof compact...
- 〖AUTO OPEN AND CLOSE〗 - Our Travel Folding Umbrella features an auto...
- 〖PORTABLE AND LIGHTWEIGHT〗- Portable and lightweight design, compact...
This travel umbrella from Bodyguard comes with a set of 10 high-quality fiberglass ribs. This is one of the top options when it comes to dealing with strong wind. It boasts a quality design that combines durability and convenience and is compact enough to be packed inside your bag or luggage.
Like all the umbrellas that we reviewed, the Bodyguard umbrella opens and closes instantly with a press of a button. The canopy is fairly large and is made from 210T micro-weave fabric with a layer of Teflon coating for extra water-repellency.
- Ideal for strong wind
- The handle is long and easy to hold
- Comes with a stylish waterproof case
- Highly waterproof thanks to Teflon technology
- The Velcro strap is too tight
- Too heavy
Glamore Reverse Umbrella
The stylish umbrella boasts a unique design that differs greatly from standard travel umbrellas. The Glamore opens inside out, meaning that the outer part of the canopy is tucked inside when the umbrella is closed. This reverse folding design prevents water from dripping on the floor and allows you to carry the umbrella indoors without worrying about soaking everything around you.
This umbrella is easy to use thanks to ergonomic C-shaped handgrip that is specifically designed to fit around your wrist. The effortless and hands-free use that is provided by this design allows you the flexibility of carrying packages or operating your phone. The sturdiness of the frame and the waterproof canopy ensures that you stay dry at all times.
- Great choice of color
- Unique reserve folding design prevents dripping
- The ergonomic C-shaped handgrip is tailored for hands-free use
- The handle might be too large for people with small hands
- Not large enough for more than one person
Due to the plethora of options on the market, finding the best compact travel umbrella can be a quite tricky and time-consuming process. However, we have managed to narrow it down to these five choices. These umbrellas have met our high standards of excellence and each one will be a valuable addition to your travel kit