Last Updated on
Long flights are not exactly synonymous with comfort. More often than not, you will find yourself sitting in an uncomfortable seat for several hours, completely unable to fall asleep or find a comfortable resting position. This is where travel pillows come in; they provide proper support for your head and allow it to remain in a stable position throughout the flight. This article will go through some of their main qualities and will help you choose the best travel pillow on the market today.
The main criteria that you should consider when choosing pillow for neck
Picking a travel pillow that can provide an adequate level of comfort during long flights is a rather straightforward and intuitive process. First, need to familiarize yourself with the basic features and characteristics of these products. Here are the main factors that you have to bear in mind before making a decision.
Travel pillow should offer enough support for your head and your neck without completely restricting your movement. Using pillows that fail to provide this balanced support can lead to some serious neck pains, especially during long flights.
Quality of the fabric
It goes without saying that the pillow should feel soft to the touch and have ample cushioning. However, it is important to keep in mind that comfort and support aren’t the only factors that you should keep in mind when it comes to the material that the pillow is made from. For example, some types of fabric tend to overheat and can cause some serious discomfort after prolonged use. It is advisable to avoid pillows made from such materials if you are planning to use them for long flights. In that case you should consider getting the best travel pillow for long flights.
Lightweight and compact design
A pillow that takes up a lot of space in the luggage presents a significant inconvenience for travelers. Go for a compact pillow that is easy to carry and preferably, one that can also be compressed to a fraction of its size.
Since you will be using your pillow in airplanes and other forms of public transportations, you will ultimately need to clean it. Some pillows come with a removable and washable cover while others are entirely machine-washable.
A good travel pillow should maintain your head in a stable position. In order to achieve this, a significant amount of traction around the bottom of the pillow is required.
Travel pillow reviews with Pros and Cons
Travelrest Ultimate Memory Foam Travel Pillow
- VOTED BEST TRAVEL PILLOW for 2018 & 2019 by WIRECUTTER!
- DESIGN: Made from special thermo sensitive memory foam to provide optimal...
- SCIENTIFICALLY TESTED: Developed originally by NASA, memory foam forms...
- COMPRESSES: Includes velcro stuff sack & memory foam ear plugs. Pillow...
This pillow from Travelrest is equipped with a number of features that enable it to provide great support for your neck, shoulder, and head. It is made from special thermo sensitive memory foam and is equipped with a set of rubber grip dots that prevent slipping when you are sleeping. This pillow is suited for a multitude of uses ranging from long flights and car trips to TV watching in the living room. The pillow owes its high level of comfort to its unique design and great cushioning. The angled back of the Travelrest creates a soft base that engulfs your entire head and helps keep it in a healthy position.
Another aspect that makes the Travelrest an ideal travel pillow is its lightweight design and its ability to compress to a quarter of its size. This enables it to be carried around easily and without occupying a lot of space in your luggage.
- The angled back design
- Provides full support for the head and neck
- Rubber grip dots are effective in preventing slipping
- Compresses to ¼ of its size
- Great travel pillow for long flights
- Might be too big for people with small necks
- The zipper on the cover doesn’t feel sturdy
Cabeau Evolution Memory Foam Travel Pillow
- This refurbished product is tested and certified to look and work like new....
This memory foam travel pillow provides a 360 degree support for your neck and is highly effective in preventing your head from falling in awkward positions during sleep. Its U-shape coupled with the thick layer of cushioning and high-quality velour cover offers the level of comfort that is necessary for sleeping on an airplane. The Cabeau Evolution pillow is equipped with an adjustable string closure that allows it to adapt to a wide range of head and neck sizes and its unique shape is compatible with all air travel seats. The pillow comes with a compact storage bag that easily fits in your luggage. The removable velour cover is washable and doesn’t lose any of its qualities even after being washed multiple times.
As it is the case with all products from Cabeau, the evolution memory foam travel pillow comes with a money back guarantee and a commitment from the manufacturer to replace all damaged or defective pillows. That’s why currently this is one of the best neck pillow for traveling.
- 360 degree neck support
- The money back guarantee
- The cover is easily washable
- Features an adjustable string closure
- The memory foam contours are extremely soft
- It is a little bit bulkier than the average travel pillow
- The clasps that hold the laces together are made from cheap plastic
Trtl Neck Support Travel Pillow
- The TRTL PILLOW is a SCIENTIFICALLY PROVEN travel pillow to keep your head...
- SUPER SOFT fleece combined with a unique hidden internal SUPPORT, plus some...
- Our UNIQUE PATENTED DESIGN is your ticket to an awesome night’s sleep,...
- The Trtl Pillow is EASY TO ATTACH to the handle of your backpack or outside...
The manufacturer of this pillow makes the bold claim that their product is scientifically proven to guarantee comfort. While this assertion might be rooted in hyperbole and marketing hype rather than data, the description that is provided by Trtl is not far off the mark. The pillow offers a tremendous level of comfort and maintains your head in an ergonomic position while protecting your neck from constant and rapid movement during sleep.
What sets this pillow apart from the vast majority of options on the market is its sleek and stylish design. It comes in a variety of colors and its soft fleece material coupled with its unique shape makes like look like a high-quality scarf. Furthermore, it is remarkably light and slender and can easily be attached to your backpack or outside of your luggage.
- Stylish and compact design
- The extra soft fleece material
- The wide selection of color options
- Provides stability for your neck
- The fabric can cause some discomfort when the temperature increases
- Difficult to use with headphones
BCOZZY Chin Supporting Travel Neck Pillow
- PATENTED CHIN SUPPORT- The overlapping arms STOP the HEAD from FALLING...
- SOFT and FLEXIBLE but supports the head and neck at the same time. MULTIPLE...
- GREAT NECK SUPPORT for Plane, Train, Car and Home. The FLAT BACK does not...
- BUILT IN SNAP STRAP for easy attaching to your carry-on luggage or...
A major drawback of a significant number of travel pillows is their incompatibility with large headphones. More often than not, they tend to push up far too high and end up displacing the headphones from their position. This pillow from Bcozzy provides a solution for this by focusing more on supporting the chin rather than the sides of your neck. This leaves you with enough space to wear large headphones, which in turn contributes to stabilizing your head when you are sleeping without causing a stiff neck.
Some of the other qualities of this travel pillow include its sturdy design, the fact that it is fully machine washable, and the ease with which it can be attached to the outside of most carry-on bags.
- It is the ideal choice for people who like to wear large headphones
- The pillow is fully machine washable
- Can be easily attached to most bags
- Flat back design prevents your head from falling forward
- Effectively prevents the chin from dropping
- It does not provide enough neck support
- Not suited for large people
Everlasting Comfort 100% Pure Memory Foam Neck Pillow Airplane Travel Kit
- NECK PILLOW FOR AIRPLANE TRAVEL - Our memory foam airplane pillow is 100...
- ERGONOMIC RAISED LOBE DESIGN - Standard U shaped travel pillows for...
- UNIQUE CELL PHONE POCKET - Rest comfortably and listen to your favorite...
- COMPLETE COMPACT TRAVEL SET - Lightweight, portable, and perfect for...
This comprehensive kit from Everlasting Comfort offers a great value for your money. It features everything that you need for long flights. The package includes a protective traveler bag, a set of high-quality foam ear plugs with noise-reducing properties, and a padded adjustable sleep mask. Additionally, the pillow boasts a small elastic pocket that allows you to keep your smart phone or tablet close to you.
The pillow is made from pure memory foam and boasts a soft velour cover that is machine washable and free of any artificial additives. The U shaped design of the pillow features orthopedic raised lobe contouring on both sides of the neck, resulting in a soft cushion that provides your head with ample support and comfort. Due to these features it is one of the best neck pillow for travel.
- Very good value for the relatively low price
- The ergonomic raised lobe design
- Comes with a lifetime replacement guarantee
- Features an elastic pocket for your cell phone or tablet
- The noise reducing qualities of the earplugs
- The pillow has an odd smell
- The fabric tends to get hot
Comfort should always be prioritized when traveling. If you are frequently flying, getting best travel pillow that can offer comfort and proper support is a necessity. This will help reduce the strain on your neck and will allow you to rest during long flights. All the units that we reviewed here are affordable and are guaranteed to add a new dimension to your travel experience. Feel free to pick the one that you like the most.