Last Updated on
Travel is one of the most rewarding experiences that you can give yourself. Whether it is a far away destination packed with adventure and fun or simply a short trip to a calm and serene location, traveling can break the monotony of your daily routine and enrich your life on so many levels. However, one of the main annoyances that are associated with this activity is luggage. The sheer amount of belongings that you need to bring with your during travels can be overwhelming and even unmanageable in some cases. Compressions sacks were conceived with the sole intention of solving this issue. Our comprehensive guide will give you a general overview of these travel gadgets and will help you find the best compression sack in the market.
The key variables to keep in mind
If you don’t have any experience with travel gadgets, it is imperative that you familiarize yourself with some of the basic features of compression sacks. There is a wide array of features that you need to be aware of and having a clear understanding of what each one offers will enable you to pick the compression sack that is best suited for your needs. Below is a brief look at some of the characteristics that you have to consider when you’re looking to buy a compression sack.
Having a waterproof compression sack prepares you for the unpredictable nature of the outdoors. Besides shielding your belongings from the rain, a water-resistant compression sack is ideal for people who enjoy water-bound activities such as kayaking, canoeing, and fishing.
The quality of the materials
The type and quality of the materials that were used in the making of the compression sack play a significant role in determining its durability and functional usefulness. Sacks made of high-quality materials like tough nylon fabric are suited for a wide range of terrains and conditions and are able to store a multitude of bulky and heavy items without any sagging or loss of integrity.
Compression sacks come in different sizes. Their capacity is often displayed in liters and can range from 10 liters to 40 liters. Knowing the storage limit of the bag before you buy it is essential since it allows you to have a clear idea of the number of items that you can store in it. 30L is widely viewed as the optimal size for seasoned travelers.
Top 5 best compression sacks in 2020
ALPS Mountaineering Compression Stuff Sack
- Top lid with zippered pocket to keep small items easily accessible
- Bottom handle with d-rings allows easy attachement to other gear
- Bartacked stress points ensures maximum strength and durability
- Made of lightweight Polyester Ripstop for maximum, long-lasting use
This is one of the most versatile sacks in the market. This particular compression sack was primarily designed for storing large sleeping bags and is the perfect option for avid outdoor enthusiasts. It is made out of high-quality polyester ripstop fabric, a highly durable material that ensures that the sack stays intact no matter how much strain you put on it. Furthermore, this model comes equipped with a number of features that provide extra convenience and practicality. These include a remarkably sturdy bottom handle with d-rings and an extra zippered pocket.
- Convenient bottom handle
- Water resistance
- Sleek design
- Good quality to price ratio
- The pack is a bit heavy
- The bands are susceptible to tangling
Sea to Summit eVent Compression Dry Sack
- Best use: The best dry bag/compression sack for sleeping bags & other bulky...
- Capacity: 6 liter - a layer, beanie, and gloves
- Compressed: evenly compresses down to 1/3rd orinial volume with 4 straps;...
- Features: double stitched, waterproof tape seams. Hypalon rolltop closure....
This sack boasts a very unique compression mechanism. Thanks to the permeable eVent fabric base, it allows air to be pushed out while simultaneously keeping water from getting in. It is made from premium nylon and is double stitched and tape sealed.
The Sea to Summit compression sack is equipped with a roll-up Hypalon closure with lid and 4 straps that compress in an even manner. Its compact and light design is tailored for the outdoors and its durable construction provides ample protection against daily wear.
- Strong stitching
- Easily compressible
- Remarkable durability
- Reliable straps
- The price
- Handling the straps comes with a steep learning curve
Forbidden Road Compression Sack
- 5 Size & 8 Colors to Choose: There are 5 sizes - 2L, 5L, 10 L, 15L, 20L and...
- Waterproof Protection & Last For Years : Made of tough, durable 100%...
- Adjustable Shoulder Strap: A removable and adjustable shoulder carry strap...
- Roll - top Closure for Maximum Compression : The Waterproof roll-top...
This offering from Forbidden Road has all the basic features that you would expect from a decent compression sack and it comes with a number of features that make it the best pick in its price range. Its durable and waterproof composition coupled with its compression qualities makes it the ideal gadget for people who enjoy water sports. Additionally, the 500D PVC material that it is made of is highly effective when it comes to keeping off dust, sand, and snow. This gives the Forbidden Road sack an exceptional and peerless versatility in this price point.
- The low price
- Comes in a wide range of sizes
- The shoulder straps are adjustable
- Impressive compression for the price
- Even the largest sacks are still relatively small
- Lack of pockets
Premium Waterproof Dry Bag Compression Sack
- PROTECT YOUR VALUABLES – put belongings inside, roll down, snap and good...
- BONUS PHONE CASE - Waterproof IPX8 grade underwater 10 m for iphone7 and 6...
- 4 X’s BUCKLE CLOSURE - allows for air-tight protection against...
- ADJUSTABLE STRAPS – removable shoulder straps and elastic mesh bungee...
This is the latest offering from Accent on Adventure, an ambitious new company that plans on becoming an established entity in the sports & outdoors niche. This premium compression sack is made from 0.5mm thick PVC tarpaulin and is entirely sealed. This allows you to store a wide range of valuables including cell phones and other electronics without worrying about potential damage.
Some other noteworthy characteristics and features include a set of removable shoulder straps and an elastic mesh bungee cord that enable you to rapidly store items, and a bonus phone case that provides added protection to your iPhone.
- Provides protection for a wide range of items
- The buckle closure ensures complete water resistance
- Comes with a bonus phone case
- Great value for the price
- It is relatively bulky
- The straps aren’t padded
Kelty Compression Stuff Sack
- Kelty Compression Stuff Sack will increase the available space within your...
- Four vertical compression straps with quick-release buckles
- Hidden storage pocket
- Water-resistant nylon ripstop with DWR finish
When it comes to value for your dollar, this compression stuff sack from Kelty is one of the top options. It is entirely made from top grade nylon and features a good DWR finish for maximum waterproofing. Despite its compact and slim design, this sack is capable of compressing bulky sleeping bags and various heavy items that wouldn’t normally fit in a standard bag. For extra convenience and practicality, Kelty has designed this sack in a way that allows it to self-stuff into a storage pocket.
- The DWR finish
- Strong compression straps
- The convenient quick-release buckles
- Can handle large items with relative ease
- The quality of the connectors is questionable
- The top cover could use some extra padding
Each of the products in this review meets our baseline requirements for a good outdoor bag. However, picking the best compression sack for your needs is ultimately a decision that only you can make. Make sure to get a clear understanding of what each compression sack offers and go with the option that you think will work best for you.